Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Shock and Awe - DAY 2

"Shock and Awe" is the designated name of our current parenting tactic.  This is the 2nd day of our experience/experiment, and I am actually shocked at how it is going.  Without the distractions of TV, toys, iPad, etc. we have been able to enjoy the "little" things.  The kids haven't complained about it as much as I thought they would.  They even popped out of bed this morning and were dressed and ready 30 minutes early!!!  When they got home from school, they OFFERED to cut grass, do homework, do laundry, etc.  Did you read that???????? They offered!!!!!!!  I mean, my kids have regular chores, and they know how to do more than most kids (start and finish laundry, clean bathrooms, change sheets on beds, cook small meals, cut grass, etc).  But their chores are mandatory.  Generally the response is, "Uh, why do I (draw the "I" out a bit and insert an extremely whiny voice) ALWAYS have to do that???".  I hate infinite words such as always, never, etc.  We usually have to threaten them to get them to do what we ask them.  Believe me, we are VERY fair parents, and we like to have a lot of fun so they are DEFINITELY not mistreated!!!  I had to pick my chin off the ground when the kids were offering to go ahead and do their chores and more...  I mean, I was SHOCKED!!!  I looked outside and Will had let SB sit in the reading inner tube while he read to her (no, you didn't read that wrong - I said inner tube, like at the pool or lake...it's a treat to sit in the inner tube on the porch while they read each day).  Yes, we are definitely red necks!!! I'm just amazed so far by this experiment....

School bus days:  Today was the kids' first day on the big yellow school bus.  Yes, I videoed it like a crazy mother.  I think riding on the bus is a rite of passage.  The kids have been begging to ride the bus for a few years now, and since we know the kids on the bus and the bus driver - we conceded to let them try it out.  They did great, and said they had a blast!!!

To my sweet, innocent William,

I want you to know how proud I (we) am of you.  Your birthday is coming up, and I have a post planned for you on that day, but I had to pay particular attention to you today during my writing.  I got a call from the school today.  At first I thought, "Really, sick already??? It's just the 2nd day of school?", but it was the RLC teacher asking to test you for the gifted program.  You might remember that you were tested in the 2nd grade, but your daddy and I decided that you were a little to immature at that time in your life to commit to RLC - so we opted out.  Today, you came racing off the school bus to tell me that they tested you and that the teacher said you did great!!!  You even said out of the blue tonight, "I hope I get into the gifted program and Mom, can you believe I was tested for RLC today?"  I could see a huge, genuine smile on your face from excitement.

But, Will, I want you to know that if you do or don't place in the gifted program, there is one thing your daddy and I know - YOU ARE GIFTED IN OUR EYES!!!  I am not talking about school or grades, either.  I'm talking about the overall person you are.  You are truly a gift from God, and we are both proud of how you are using your gifts.  Please do not be too disappointed in yourself if you do not place.  It's ok to be a little bummed, but be confident in who you are.  All your daddy and I have ever asked is that you do YOUR personal best - not anyone else's best.  If your best is all A's, then we expect all A's.  If your best is all B's, then we expect all B's, and so forth.  WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU FOR WHO YOU ARE!!!  We love you so much!

***I've got so much more on my mind, but I'm so sleepy.  Also, forgive my typos or grammatical errors - I'm not going to proofread tonight.  Reminder to myself - Selah's health stuff, organizational thoughts...***

Verse of the day:  "Come now, let's settle this, says the LORD.  Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them white as snow.  Though they are red like crimson, I will make them white as wool."
Isaiah 1:18  

No comments:

Post a Comment