Friday, August 10, 2012

Beginning the blog....Continued.

Warning - this is a long post!!!

It all began one sunny day in Dixie......We were all on our way to the beach.  With four kids, lots of planning goes into a beach trip.  You have to think of clothes, bathing suits, towels, floats, ear drops to dry water, eye drops for red eyes after chlorine, snacks, pillows and blankets and stuffed animals for car ride, etc, etc, etc.  I also have blonde headed kids, so when there is lots of swimming in chlorine, you have think of special shampoo and conditioner so their hair doesn't turn green. So after much planning and packing, we're on our way. Yay!!!  Orange Beach, here we come!!!

The kids were thrilled that they got to watch a movie on the way to the beach.  The rule in our house is that they only get to watch a movie in the car when we're going on a "long trip".  On normal days they can either talk to each other, read, or listen to music (or fuss and argue). 

We were in OUR OWN TOWN, and our kids had to get out to go to the bathroom - ALREADY!!!  We got everyone out, told them to put their shoes on that they had already taken off, trudged to the bathroom and the bathroom was CLOSED!!!  So we herded the cattle back into the car and went to another gas station.  At the other gas station IN OUR TOWN, FIVE MINUTES FROM OUR HOUSE we got everyone out again, put Selah's shoes on AGAIN, trudged to the OUTDOOR bathroom with this GINORMOUS key.  The totally sanitary bathroom had water ALL over the floor.  We all teeteed (me, while I was holding my daughter's huge baby doll because she was SOOOOOOO tired of holding it, and holding the massive bathroom key WHILE there was lots of water on the floor, so I had to hold my pants up high so they wouldn't get wet, WHILE squatting!!!!!! It was a precious sight!)  We herded all he cattle back into the car, and FINALLY we're on our way to the glorious Gulf Coast!

Well, we left our house that morning at 10 a.m..  We arrive in Alabaster at 12 NOON!!!!!!  Alabaster is merely 25-30 minutes away from our house.  Yes, we hit a DEAD STOP because of traffic.  At this point, our kids have almost finished a WHOLE movie, and we're only 30 minutes from home!!!  My husband is being extremely patient........Uuummmmmm, NOT!!!!! And the kids have only asked if we were almost there like 42 times already.  Then, something HORRIBLE happens...........We (well, I) have to pee again!!!!!!!

We take the next exit (30 minutes from home, husband about to lose it, kids finished a whole movie already, traffic as far as you can see, restless kids, now it's lunchtime) and tell the kids to get their shoes BACK ON so we can go to the restroom for the THIRD time since we left home!!!!!!  We wait in line behin 20 people for 1 bathroom!!!!  It ended up being a 30 minute stop.  Yikes!

We get back on the interstate after herding the cattle BACK into the car.  I get this epiphany that, OH MY GOODNESS, this has to be documented.  I decide to vent my frustration in a text to 2 of my close friends.  Plus, I can't help from cracking up.  This can't be real!!!  I ask for prayer from both of them to help all of us be patient!!!  Of course they are both laughing their heads off, but I did get a prayer....

Let us pray (by Megan):
"Dear Lord, please put invisible duck tape on each kid's mouth, and let them sleep for the next 5 hours.  Please part the traffic like You parted the water that time. Please plug up Dani's bladder, and make her feel comfortable to squat on the side of the road if You haven't had a chance to part the traffic like You parted the water yet.  Give Keith a bottle of chill pills and help him laugh instead of being frustrated.  Keep all the tires inflated and the transmission running (that's another story for later). Lord, let them enjoy their make-up sex tonight if their arguments get too heated. Teach them that the journey can be just as fun as the destination.  Help keep Keith's road rage to a minimum, and don't let the kids see Keith shooting birds to the fellow drivers.  In Jesus' name. Amen"

After reading and reciting my friend's beautifully written prayer, I then looked out my window and saw the Jeep with the handwritten "I hate traffic" sign.  I thought "Wow", we're not alone.  I started a blog right then and there to record this event so my children may remember it one day.  I named it "I hate traffic" because it was in that moment that I created what I hope to be a recounting of my kids' and our incredible, wonderful journey through life together. 

We ended up arriving safely at the beach, and enjoyed every minute of it!!! (Well, most minutes of it!!!)


Verse of the Day:  "Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion.  But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.  They will soar high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:30-31


Preview of the ride to the beach (video).

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely hilarious and had me laughing out loud! I loved it...hate it for you. But I'm so glad that it inspired you to start sharing the Nesmith Reality Show with us. I'll be a happy follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video is hilarious! I remember the day you sent it to Megan! We were all at the desk & were dying out laughing! too funny :) Your blog is really sweet! You're kids will love it one day! They have a sweet momma! :) I look forward to following your sweet blog!

    ReplyDelete