Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I love Atticus Finch!!!...

Before I begin this post, I must shout to the world that one of my closest, most precious friends, Tammy Erbrick and her family, just found out today that their foster son, JJ, will officially become an Erbrick!!!  After a long, hard, and faithful journey, they found out that the wait is officially over.  Please be in prayer on this Friday, August 17th as they will be in court fighting for JJ.  More details to come about this, but we are just praising the Lord today...

So.....why do I LOVE Atticus Finch???
(Part I)

Most of us who were raised in America were required to read Harper Lee's novel, To Kill A Mockingbird (TKAM).  And anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with reading.  Like, really obsessed.  I love walking into Books-A-Million and seeing and SMELLING all of those books.  I love that they are straight and neatly put together with clean, white paper and lines.  I love the feel of a brand new book when I get one (but I also love used or previously loved books - I frequent 2nd and Charles used bookstore!!!).  My heart skips a beat when I know I get to begin a new book, and on the other hand, I feel like I've lost my best friend when I have to finish a great book. I'm not saying "never", but I don't see myself buying a Kindle or e-reader anytime soon.  I love the feel and weight of a book, and YES, I even dog-ear my pages instead of using bookmarks.  The more loved a book is, the better... 

Going back to TKAM.  So, I'm gonna pretend that we ALL ACTUALLY READ the book in high school and that we DIDN'T just read the Cliffs notes or watch the movie ;).  Well, seeing as I was just going to REFRESH my memory on this book, I decided to read it again.  My, my, my has it enhanced my views on life.  I couldn't put it down!  It inspired me on how to be a merciful, loving parent.  It reminded me that I need to "walk around in other people's skin" before I pre-judge them.  It reminded me on the simple, but difficult ways to be an obedient Christian.  It reminded me about how to have compassion.  I want to be just like Atticus, the father in the story.  He is a warm, loving, just, merciful, wise, compassionate, role model, daddy...  

The little girl in the book, Scout, reminds me so much of my very own Sarah Beth (SB).  She is as stubborn as a mule, but as gentle as a newborn fawn.  Scout is a fighter, but is usually throwing those punches to protect and defend the underdog, as is my SB. And as Atticus did, he had to teach Scout that PHYSICAL fighting was not the answer and that she needed to learn how to fight for the innocent in other ways.  I think we are kind of getting through to SB about that, but we have a little more work to do.  An example: Last year, we got an email from SB's teacher.  I was worried because SB didn't usually get in trouble in class.  The subject line read, "Sarah Beth", and the email simply read, "Sarah Beth punched another student in the stomach today".  That was it......nothing else.  No description - nothing.  When I went to SB to ask her about her altercation with the other student, she replied "But Mama, that little boy was making fun of another little girl, and she was crying!!!".  While I was so proud of her spirit, I did not condone her way of handling it.  Reminds me so much of Scout!!! 

I REALLY, REALLY want to share why it's titled TKAM, but it would spoil the secret.  One must read the book to fully understand.  I'll share little tidbits here and there over the next few posts.

TODAY:  The kids had Landon and Camden Erbrick spend the night last night.  Susannah went to her best friend, Mia's, house to spend the night with her.  The boys made a pallet in the living room, and when I got up to go to the restroom at about midnight, I went to check on them; all I saw was a tangled mess of 6 legs.  I couldn't tell where one kid began and one kid ended.  We all slept til about 8:30, and I was originally planning to work around the house to get it prepped and ready for the beginning of school next week while the kiddos ran around outside.  But I decided that the house work could wait and that the kids only had a few days left of summer break.  We got ready in about 10 minutes and spontaneously headed off to the lake for the day.  I spent a fortune on breakfast at Chik-Fil-A for a treat, we listened to Johnny Cash half way there, we talked about what it meant to be "nostalgic" (even looked up the definition of it), gave examples of what made us feel nostalgic since now everyone knew what it meant, and then I got a speeding ticket.......

Yes, I just wrote - I GOT A SPEEDING TICKET.  My first one, ever!!!!  I go the same speed to the lake (65 mph) every time.  The speed limit is usually between 60 and 70 mph.  Well, I didn't realize that they were doing construction (no workers were out), and the speed limit had dropped down to 45 mph.  I didn't even know how to pull over on the interstate when the state trooper had his lights on!!!  The police officer was nice, but he definitely didn't give me a break.  No, I didn't argue, cry, or flirt to try to get out of it because I had 5 innocent children watching and waiting to see how I would handle this.  My son said, "But Mom, you didn't know the speed limit had dropped down, so it wasn't fair that you got in trouble".  I got to explain that sometimes there are consequences that you have to face even when you "didn't know".  I guess you can chalk it up to a good life lesson, but I still hate it!!!  Then I had to call my husband and Tammy (Landon and Camden's mom) to fess up that I was an "unlawful driver".  Thankfully that was no big deal to them, but I had to be good example there too.  All the kids were saying "let's  don't tell anybody".  I got to explain that it was important to tell the truth even if it seems like we can keep it a secret without anyone finding out.  I have to admit that it sure was an EXPENSIVE lesson and one I would have liked to avoid!!!  All in all it was a great day, however.

Verse of the day:  
"And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him.  Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him.  Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."
Colossians 2: 6-7    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment