Monday, September 10, 2012

It happened on THIS day.....

.....10 years ago at 4:54 a.m. my only son and first child, William Isaiah Nesmith, was born.  We expected you on September 26th, but MUCH to our surprise you came early!!!  I had worked all day and was sitting on the front porch swing watching your daddy cut grass.  We lived in the tiny, 900 square foot house on Pleasant Road.  My water broke and after I was trying to decide if I should call my doctor (because I wasn't sure what was happening), I decided I might better mention it to your daddy.  I told him, "I'm waiting on the doctor to call me back, so don't freak out, but I think my water broke."  About 3 or 4 minutes later, the doctor called me and told me that I didn't need to rush but to come to the hospital.  I went to tell your dad what was going on, and I couldn't find him.  I called him and looked in every room with no luck.  I finally looked out in the carport and your dad was sitting in the driver's seat of the car (my tiny 1996 Toyota Corolla).  The car was packed TO THE TOP with stuff.  Your dad had already taken a shower and packed the car!!!  When I said, "what are you doing?".  He said (with his voice about 3 octaves higher), "We're going to have a baby!!!".  We stopped at Milo's on the way to get your dad something to eat (that's why I always tell you why you love Milo's so much).  That, and because we have eaten Milo's every Friday night since we were married. 

We arrived at the hospital at around 7 p.m. on September 9th.  You were born in the wee hours of the morning on the 10th.  You had a million family members sleeping in the waiting room anxiously awaiting your birth.  You were to be the first grand child, great-grand child, and great-great grandchild.  The fifth generation on BOTH sides of the family.  That is extremely rare!

You weighed in at 8 pounds 5 ounces and were 21 inches long.  You had cute little "chicken legs".  Your head looked like a peach with a tiny bit of white fuzz on the top.  Will, you were the child that gave us the names, Mama and Daddy and made us parents for the first time.  You are named after your daddy, William Keith Nesmith.  We also chose the name Isaiah who was a prophet in the Bible.  Always be proud of your name, son.  We put a lot of thought into the reasons why we named our children what we did. 

You were an easy baby.  You wouldn't let me put you in your bed until you fell asleep on my chest.  Everyone would say, "you're going to be sorry you started that habit".  I was NEVER sorry about that!  I loved that moment each night.  Sometimes I wished I could freeze that moment in time.  It felt so perfect.

Will, there are so many things I love about you.  I don't even know where to begin.  I love that you live up to the name Isaiah.  You have a very special gift.  You are such deep thinker and a wise, old soul for such a young man.  You were that way even at 5 years old.  I love how affectionate you are.  I love that even now you come sit in my lap and you're not embarassed.  I love your eyes which are the color of the brightest, blue sky.  A young girl will eventually fall in love with you over those eyes!  I love that you have the best sportsmanship when you play sports.  You are such a great encourager to your teammates.  I love that you are so laid back and not competitive.  I love your freckles on your nose.  I love the birthmark on your back that is identical to mine.  Will, you will do great things with your faith.  You have had a special gift for so long, and I get the pleasure of seeing it blossom each day!!!  Thank you for being you!

Your daddy and I love you more than words can say or describe!!!  Thank you for making us parents.  

Verse of the day (Will's favorite verses): 
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
Ephesians 6: 10-18

   

1 comment:

  1. I love Will's story. I also love that Keith was in the car, packed & ready to go as soon as you told him your water had broken.

    ReplyDelete